Whereas blood clots can show helpful, those that develop in your veins, often known as deep vein thrombosis, will be dangerous.
Deep vein thrombosis, or DVT for brief, will be critical as a result of clots that reside in your veins can break free.
The gel-like clumps can then journey via your bloodstream and get caught within the lungs, blocking your blood circulate.
This is usually a recipe for life-threatening issues, requiring pressing medical consideration, based on the NHS.
Thankfully, the primary signs can typically crop up even earlier than DVT develops, Dr Omar Abu-Bakr shared.
READ MORE: The ‘anti-inflammatory’ meals that would ease arthritis joint ache – professional recommendation
The physician, who can be a Marketing consultant Venous Surgeon at The Whiteley Clinic, stated: “That is why it’s typically known as a ‘silent’ situation.”
“[But] in some instances, individuals could expertise warning indicators or signs earlier than the onset of DVT.”
One signal that would ring alarm bells and warn you to the pesky clots is ache or discomfort in your leg, based on the professional.
This signal can turn into particularly obvious throughout extended sitting or standing.
“This symptom could [also] be an indication of underlying venous insufficiency or different circumstances that improve the chance of DVT,” Dr Abu-Bakr stated.
Whereas round 50 p.c of sufferers with blood clots expertise signs, warning indicators are typically reluctant to seem.
The physician stated: “Which is why it’s typically known as a “silent” situation.
“It’s vital to hunt medical consideration in case you suspect you’ll have DVT, particularly you probably have any threat components for the situation.”
This makes signs consciousness entrance centre, so you’ll be able to establish the purple flags promptly in the event that they do seem.
Aside from discomfort in your leg, blood clots can set off signs together with:
- Throbbing or cramping ache, swelling, redness and heat in a leg or arm
- Sudden breathlessness
- Sharp chest ache (could also be worse if you breathe in)
- Cough or coughing up blood.
The excellent news is that there are a number of methods to scale back your threat of the gel-like clumps cropping up in your veins.
The physician advisable the next methods:
- Use compression stockings to assist enhance blood circulate within the legs (significantly useful in the case of long-haul flights)
- Keep energetic to deal with DVT threat components by serving to you keep a wholesome weight, boosting circulation, bettering lung operate, and strengthening muscle tissues
- Keep hydrated to scale back the chance of blood thickening
- Keep away from extended sitting or standing (in case you sit or stand for lengthy durations of time, take frequent breaks to stretch your legs and transfer round).